Join former mayor, municipal manager, professor, and consultant Alex Torpey for the latest episode of Rethinking, filmed in the Custer Gallatin National Forest, Montana.
As another so called progressive democrat begins their fall from grace, I wanted to spend a moment reflecting on why we seem to have so many politicians who don’t do the right things, but who instead just say the right things, and then do the wrong things. Where does this come from? Why does it keep happening? And what’s *our* responsibility in making things work differently?
Join me in exploring some of these dynamics, their evolutionary and cultural histories, and a few strategies that may help us think about how we hold ourselves, each other, and our political leaders accountable.
You can find all of the episodes of Rethinking at rethinkingwithalextorpey.com, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Feel free to send any feedback, comments, or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org!
A few additional resources:
- On Cuomo:
- Harry Frankfurt – On Bullshit:
- Some of the issues around sexual harassment and violence in New Jersey government:
- Daniel Hoffman on the Operating System description of Consciousness:
- Rethinking Episode 4: (Consciousness, Free Will, etc)
- Rethinking Episode 5: (Primate behaviors, political systems, etc)
- The Incentive Theory of Motivation – Very Well Mind: https://www.verywellmind.com/the-incentive-theory-of-motivation-2795382
- The Effects of Externally Mediated Rewards on Intrinsic Motivation – Journal of Personality and Social Psychology: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232452540_The_Effects_of_Externally_Mediated_Rewards_on_Intrinsic_Motivation
- Links to a few sources discussing the development of different moral beliefs and dynamics:
- Jonathan Haidt:
- The moral roots of liberals and conservatives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SOQduoLgRw
- Two incompatible sacred values in American Universities – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gatn5ameRr8
- Robert Putnan: Bowling Alone (and other works)
- Dr. Diana S Fleischman – The evolution of Human Morality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6L6WxwRBnM
- Robert Saplosky: The biology of humans at our best and worst:
- Shorter Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORthzIOEf30
- Longer Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRYcSuyLiJk
- Jonathan Haidt:
- Over 200 Groups Call for Whistleblower Reform for Public Servants: https://www.govexec.com/oversight/2021/04/over-200-groups-call-whistleblower-reform-public-servants/173080/